Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Card Model Titanic Part I

I have no experience with card modeling but was intrigued by the possibilities of the medium.  I live in a condo building and do not have a workshop space to work with wood.  Ever since I was a child I dreamed of building a large scale model of a ship- Titanic in particular.  Recently, I looked through TRMA and paper modeling sites and was impressed by large scale card modeling projects.  I stumbled upon this card model kit on Etsy in November, 2014 for $11 US and took a chance.  

This kit is similar to the Taschen book (which is a poor copy in my opinion) and I was immediately impressed by the quality of the printing, the clarity of the instructions, and the witty commentary throughout.  I noted the 1981 copyright and wondered: "Where was this when I was a kid?"

After building this model, I've started a second one with an eye to replace railings and other details with photo etch, a sea base, cutting out the stations, adding promenade deck windows, and fly fishing thread rigging.

Here is the first one:

Front cover.


Back cover.

This card kit makes a 1:200 scale (approx 134 cm in length) waterline model.  While not as detailed as the Schriber-Bogen or FlyModel full-hull versions, this produces a nice model with opportunities for scratch building and modifications.


Bow and first third of hull assembled.

Close up of the bow.



Forward well deck.




The assembled model is impressive. 


Bridge and foreward decks.

I assembled everything straight from the kit including railing, lifeboats, davits, and vents.

Third funnel and engine and skylights.  The rigging is black sewing thread.

Detail of the officer's quarters.  I chose not to use the paper benches, as they were the least accurate part of the kit


Broadside view of completed model.

Here are some details of the second attempt:
I cut out the black panels inside the open ares of the promenade deck.  All of the "glass" remains in black.

No comments:

Post a Comment