Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Building the Titanic (Again!)

My interest in the Titanic goes back to the 1986 and Robert Ballard's first dives on the wreck.  I was in grade school at the time and I have a vague memory of a friend talking about the ship and its story.  It stuck an iceberg (what is that?) and lots of people died.  Now the lost ship was found.  Undoubtably I came home from school and told my parents about it.  I do not remember what happened next, but it certainly involved going to the newsstand to buy National Geographic, and playing Harry Chapin's Danceband on the Titanic.  Then came the books, checking out Ballard's Video, and a series of badly build childhood models.  I know I went through several Revell 1/570s including one entered in a local model contest. Along the way, wherever my interest in Titanic took me (as with so many other things in life) I am thankful for a supportive and patient family! 

A boy and his model, about 1988.


A year or two later, on a trip to Dave's Toys and Hobbies, I saw the Academy-Minicraft 1:350 kit.  It was huge!  It was expensive!  I think it became a birthday present…  At any rate, I built it with great impatience and then, played with it.  I sank it in the pond a few times (I recall it was hard to do, it floated capsized) and reenacted scenes from Raise the Titanic.  I liked the way water rushed out of all the window openings.  Then it sat on a shelf for years and gathered dust.  I became a teenager.  I went to college.

In the early 2000s, now a working adult on my own, I brought the model back with me.  I carefully dusted it off and attempted to repair, repaint, and update it with photo etch.  Since I had never used brass before, this was practice for building a model of Lusitania. When it was finished, Titanic sat on top of an aquarium for a few years, and later a shelf, where, once again, it gathered dust.  It also acquired hard water stains.  Two or three years ago, I put her inside of a closet on a safe, high shelf.  The pictures below show her state today.

The original Academy/Minicraft (Entex) 1:350 model kit.  Built circa 1990, and rebuild circa 2002.


Long exposure with my SLR and a small blue light.


With the dust and dim lighting, there is a Raise the Titanic feel to this model.  Natural weathering!


My interest in Titanic grew to encompass all ocean liners and maritime matters generally.  In 2004 I went to a TRMA meet up in Willow Springs with my dad.  I saw some great completed models, bought a set of plans, and a book.  But I never felt confident in my modeling abilities to share them with the world until now.  I guess I needed quiet practice!

As an adult my interest with modeling these ships waxed and waned with life challenges, two journeys through graduate school, and other hobbies.  On a whim, really, I began collecting 1:1250/1:1200 ocean liners in 2013.  That opened the floodgates to collecting models and ephemera, and once again, building models.  


The New Project!
Accuracy.  Revised Minifcraft hull and Bruce Beveridge 1:350 plans.

My parents gave me (it was a true surprise) the Minicraft 1:350 Titanic kit for Christmas 2014.  While I am not a "rivet counter" I do want to build a reasonable accurate model.  I bought wood decks from Scale Decks. Photo-etch brass parts from Tom's Model Works and Gold Medal Models are used where possible.  I recognize my limitations (poor eyesight, overcaffienation, no dedicated workshop, etc) and I am making compromises.

I intend for this model to be a tribute to my family as well as a fine ship and my lifelong fascination with Titanic and her story.

PE Sets Galore!


I primed the decks with Tamyia primer.  This was my test fit for the wooden decks. I went with a light color that would look most like pine.  They grey primer gives it a very subtle shade of weathering behind it.   

After paining the breakwater, hatch and other parts, I glued the scale decks down to the forecastle.


Aft section of decking.

Anti-fouling red.


Once the hull was painted, I used the kit's decals including the sheer stripe.  The stripe was a pain to do but with Miro Set and Micro Sol it worked out okay.  I'm using very fine tipped illustration markers to even out any paint overlaps. When I put the name on, some fluid ran down like a tear.  I thought it was a fitting moment to photograph.

After spray painting the PE windows, I glued them on little by little.  I chose not to cut the mullions behind them.  I took the chance that this looked better than risk damaging the plastic parts.

Windows and scale decks installed on Promenade Deck.

PE windows on Officer's Quarters.  Promenade and boat decks attached to the hull.

Navigating bridge windows and forward facing windows installed.  The copy paper surrounds the hull to protect the paint work.



No comments:

Post a Comment